Skip to content
County Clare Heritage Office
Heritage at the heart of the community
You are here:
A Tour of Historic Buildings in Tulla, County Clare
Michael McMahon St Mochulla (or Mochuille) founded a monastery in Tulla circa 620AD and the village grew up around that monastery. ...
O’Brien’s March from Limerick to Tulla in 1317
Michael McNamara Introduction In an attempt to negotiate a truce between two warring factions; the Normans led by Richard De Clare and ...
Saint Mochulla's, Mochuille's Holy Well, Cragg
This well lies at the butt of Cragg hill on the edge of a small wood. The approach to the well is through wet, rushy ground. Kilchulla Kyleen (cillín), a burial ground on unconsecrated land, is in the same area as the well. The cillín is recognisable as several low stones around the two trees marking the site. There is no water in the well. What remains is a slightly low depression in the ground on the hill side of the trees.
Saint Mochulla’s Holy Well (possible), Ardbooly Lower, Tulla
This may be one of the fifteen Holy Wells listed for Mochulla. However its location is a little different to the other listed sites. This site of this holy well is located in a large open grazing field, two fields west of the nearby R462 local road. The well is listed in records of the National Folklore Collection for Ardboula Lower. During the course of the research visit, the general area was identified but no spring or well demarcation could be found. To the south of the well location is a cillín, a graveyard on unconsecrated groun where unbaptised children were sometimes buried. There are many instances where cillíní and holy wells are located in close proximity to one another. This reinforces the possibililty that there was a holy well in this area at one time.
Tobercleveen, Tobar Cleíbhín, Tobar Cliabhín, Glendree
The name of this well might mean the 'Well of the Little Basket'. The location of this holy well seems to be based on letter in the Ordnance Survey Letters from 1839. However the original letter was vague about the well's origins. The Ordnance Survey inspectors wrote that it was 'said by some people to have been a Holy Well'...
Tobermacshane, Tobar mhic Sheáin, Uggoon Upper
'Tobermacshane' means the Well of the Son of John. The well is an 8-10 minute walk from the road, along a farm track to a small grazing field that is immediately after a little wood. The well is to the left, about halfway down the field. It is denoted by wire fencing protecting it and is well secured against animal damage.
Tobermochulla, Tobermochuille, Fortane Beg, Tulla
The well is indicated as being at the elevated end of a huge grazing field. The well seems to have been close to a copse of trees which contains a cillín, or unconsecrated burial ground. An earthen bank that may be part of a ring-fort wall passes along the site through the hedge and into the next field. However there is no clear demarcation showing the exact position of the well..
Tobermochulla, Tobermochuille, Tobar Mochuille, Newgrove
This holy well lies in a quiet corner of a large pasture of mixed vegetation, directly west of the old Newgrove estate. The well is hard to spot at first as it is surrounded by low bushes. A low mound making up a simple well-house is now lost in the undergrowth. On the hidden side of the mound lies the well which contains collected rainwater.
These are the most common keywords on the site.
Holy Wells (157)
Holy Well (157)
County Clare (101)
View all keywords