Skip to content
County Clare Heritage Office
Heritage at the heart of the community
You are here:
Kilmurry Lime Kiln
Carmel Frazer Location Kilmurry lime kiln is located in the south east of the county on the R462 road between Kilkishen to ...
O’Brien’s March from Limerick to Tulla in 1317
Michael McNamara Introduction In an attempt to negotiate a truce between two warring factions; the Normans led by Richard De Clare and ...
Saint Mochulla, Saint Mochuille’s Holy Well, Rathmore
The well lies a good distance along a farm track off the Rosroe- Knocknalappa road. The well is close to the east shore of Rosroe Lough and a short distance from the small but archaeologically important Knocknalappa Lough. The well is obscured by bushes, with only wet patches of ground indicating its presence. It would be difficult to spot without local knowledge.
Toberyrowarta, Tobar Rabhartaí, Tullycrine/ Tullycreen Lower
The well is at the centre of a gated space, with surrounding walls and concrete floor. The well house has a recess containing a statue of the Virgin Mary, with the spring in front. A similar grotto is found in the south-west corner of the enclosure. Immediately behind the holy well to the south is a ring fort that contains a cillín, or unconsecrated burial ground. To the right of the well there are two plaques with dedications to those buried in the cillín. In between these is another plaque inscribed with a prayer. These plaques were dedicated in 2008. The well is signposted from the road. It lies about 100 metres up an incline. There is public access to both the Holy Well and the cillín.
These are the most common keywords on the site.
Holy Wells (157)
Holy Well (157)
County Clare (101)
View all keywords