Tobermurry, Tobar Muire, Saint Mary's Well, Shandrum
Townland: Shandrum, Kilmurry-Ibrickan
Description of Holy Well and Landscape Setting
This holy well lies in a field to the north west of the old Kilmurry Church and Graveyard, known as ‘The Priest’s haggard’. The priest’s house once stood beside the field, but is now gone.
Nothing of the well remains other than a drainage system. The flow of water was very powerful in the past and constantly flooded a portion of the field.
Saint and Feast Day Associated with Holy Well
Tobermurry would have been visited most on 15th August, the Feast of the Assumption. No details of rounds carried out or prayers recited at the well remain, and it is likely that the well has not been visited for some time. As the well stood beside Kilmurry Church, it is likely to have supplied water to the church, and these waters would have mostly been used for the rite of Baptism.
Natural Heritage around the Holy Well
There is little foliage around the holy well. The field where the well is located is now an extensive grazing area. Some hedges may have been removed to enlarge the space and the hedges which remain contain the usual small trees and some gorse.
Heritage Attractions Nearby
Miltown Malbay is close to the holy well site, where food, accommodation and excellent traditional music can be found. Quilty/Seafield offers beach strolls and swimming.
John O’ Donovan, Ordnance Survey Letters, 1839:
‘About half a furlong to the north of it (Kilmurry Church) there is a Holy Well dedicated to our Blessed Lady, but no Stations are now performed at it, to the great shame of the Dalcassians.‘
Record of Monuments and Places Number