Tobermochunna, Tobar Mochunna, Moynoe
Townland: Moynoe Townland, Moynoe
Description of Holy Well and Landscape Setting
The well site is in the northwest corner of a large grazing field directly behind the old Moynoe Church and Graveyard. The well is tucked into the hedging at this point, where a stream contours the field boundary. The immediate area is protected by barbed wire to ensure no animal damage to the site. The grass at the site was high, hiding any traces of the well. It was explained the well had not been visited by pilgrims for many years,
Saint and Feast Day Associated with Holy Well
The well is dedicated to Saint Mochunna. Ordnance Surveyor John O’ Donovan wrote in the 19th century:
‘A short distance to the north of the Church is a Holy Well, called Tobar Mochunna after St. Mochunna, the Patron of the Parish of Feakle and perhaps of this Parish also’.
Natural Heritage around the Holy Well
There are a large number of alder trees and blackthorns to the left of the well site.
Heritage Attractions Nearby
The village of Mount Shannon is 15 minutes from the holy well site. From here it is possible to make a day trip the monastic Inishcealtra or Holy Island.
James Frost, The History and Topography of the County of Clare, 1893:
‘A little way off is a holy well called Tobar Mochunna, who was the patron saint of Feakle, and of this parish as well. The Church of Moynoe was burned to the ground in 1084 by the Connaughtmen.  Under the date of May 21st, the anniversary is commemorated of St. Colman Lobhar (the leper) of Magh-n-eo in Dalcais‘.
Frost, J 1893, The History and Topography of the County of Clare: From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the 18th Century, Sealy, Bryers & Walker, Dublin
Record of Monuments and Places Number