Tobermochulla, Tobar Mochulla-Mochuille, Cloonsheerea
Townland: Cloonsheerea, Cluain Sílre, Kilseily
Description of Holy Well and Landscape Setting
The well lies just off the south side of the R471, following a branch road to Cloonsheerea Townland. The well stands in a low grove protected by tall evergreen Scots pine trees. The well is at the centre of the hollow, with its own well house. It contains water. There is a series of flagstones acting as a cover for the well. On the right hand side is a smooth river stone. These smooth stones once played a role during well visitations. The majority, unfortunately, have been removed from some of the more frequently visited wells.
Saint and Feast Day Associated with Holy Well
This is one of many holy wells dedicated to Saint Mochulla in County Clare. Mochulla was a 7th century saint, and is patron of Tulla Parish. There are many stories associated with Saint Mochulla and there were once close to twenty wells named in his honour in East Clare. However, there is no active veneration to the saint today.
Mochulla’s feast-day is sometimes quoted as being 12th June but this is by no means certain. The following record from the National Folklore Collection in the 1930’s offers a choice of feast days:
‘Up to the year 1839 patterns were held at the principal Mochulla wells on the 23rd of March and the 23rd of June. The Saint’s Feast Day was on the 11th January’.
The martyrologies also offer 23rd March as being ‘Mocholla’s’ feast day.
A local informant remembered that the young folk would visit the well in the past and bring flowers. Most of these young people have since grown up and moved away from the area.
Natural Heritage around the Holy Well
The holy well lies in an overgrown area with a carpet of mixed vegetation. Around the well is a field used to graze animals.
Heritage Attractions Nearby
Broadford Village is the main village in the parish of Kilseily. There are a number of megalithic monuments across the parish and some minor castles.
There is a small cillín to the north east of the holy well, in the same field.
Record of Monuments and Places Number