Tobereemy, Tober Imy, Tobar Iomaigh, Eantymore
Townland: Killimer, Eantymore, also known as Lower Burrane.
Description of Holy Well and Landscape Setting
This well lies at the rear of two private houses on the Knock-Killimer road, to the west of St. Imy’s grotto. The well was recently restored, with stone surrounds and a new sign.
Saint and Feast Day Associated with Holy Well
Saint Imy was the sister of St. Senan of Scattery. She gives her name to the townland of Killimer (Cill Iomaigh).
In ‘The History and Topography of the County of Clare’,1893, James Frost wrote:
‘In the Irish calendars under the date of the 13th August, a female saint named Iomhar is commemorated’.
Natural Heritage around the Holy Well
The well is on an extended patch of dry ground, around which is softer, marshier land. The holy well was dry at the time of the research visit, though active springs were present in the surrounding land.
Heritage Attractions Nearby
The Killimer-Tarbert ferry is five minutes from the well. Kilrush town is fifteen minutes away.
James Frost, ‘The History and Topography of the County of Clare’, 1893:
‘About one hundred yards on the east side of the church is Leac Iomaighe (the flag of St. Emma), and a little way off is a holy well called Tobar Iomaighe, at which stations are still performed, but no particular day of the year is remembered as her festival. In the parish of Killimer is the castle of Doonnagurroge, which in 1580 belonged to Teige, son of Murtagh Cam MacMahon.’
Ordnance Survey Letters, 1839:
‘ About twenty perches due east of this Church is Leac Iomaighe, the Flag of St. Emma, and a short distance to the northeast of the Leac is a Holy Well called Tobar Iomaighe, at which Stations are still performed, but no particular day of the year is remembered as her festival’.
Frost, J 1893, The History and Topography of the County of Clare: From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the 18th Century, Sealy, Bryers & Walker, Dublin
Record of Monuments and Places Number